Monday, October 22, 2012

My Grandfather's Business



                                    Poly Hangers






Threw out my child hood, I got to see my Grandfather's self run business evolve and gain more and more business. My Grandfather has a pattern on a innovation he created, that he named poly hangers. The name is self explanatory. Poly is used at construction sites to stop dust and dangerous chemicals from spreading into other parts of the construction site. Poly hangers hang poly at construction sites, without damaging the walls you are hanging them on. An alternative to poly hangers would be to use staples or duck tape, but as you those things but cause damage to the wall. As you can see from the pictures below poly hangers do no harm to the walls. They simply are adjusted around them. 

Employees 
My Grandmother

Products
There are four different poly hangers my Grandfather sells. Each hanger has their own benefit, For example hanger number one Supports one or more layers of poly in front of walls. And hanger number four Supports poly from roof joists, pipes, and other building components. 



Poly-Hanger 1 - $125/Box of 100
 




Poly-Hanger 2 - $135/Box of 100





Poly-Hanger 3 - $285/Box of 100
 

    

Poly-Hanger 4 - $265/Box of 100


  










One new product my Grandfather added is the leak diverter kit. The Kit "Diverts roof and other leaks to an out of the way location to avoid creating dangerous wet floor conditions and to avoid disrupting customers and business operations."
Leak Diverter Kit - $250



Customers
My Grandfather sells about 50 percent of his products to distribution companies, who  order in bulk different products in the construction category. They then market them and sell them to different construction companies. 

International Customers
At first my Grandfather was hesitate to ship internationally. Because of the risk of the product being copied. As his sales grew, and with the internet and communication evolving, he decided to look in to it. He got in contact with a guy from France who was interesting in buying in bulk. They talked over the phone and my Grandfather was able to sign a contract with him. Currently about half of my Grandfather's sales are shipped to France. Also he made an option so people can view his website in French.

Marketing and Future Plans 
As my Grandfather's company grew so did his market expenses.  As of the past couple of years, he spent thousands of dollars each year making flyers to promote his products. That he puts in the package with the hangers, he also hands them to manufacturing companies where they give the flyers to construction companies. As of now he does not do any online marketing. As of now I am not sure if my Grandfather has future plans or if he is just not telling me them. But I do know that there is no need to change if you do not have to. My Grandfather told me his business is gradually gaining more profits each year, and if Mitt Romney becomes president my Grandfather told me his profits will be even higher. 






For more information please visit my Grandfather's site at 
http://www.polyhangers.com







1 comment:

  1. Great start on your paper. I'm looking forward to reading more of the story about your grandfather's business. The only part I disagree with is...if something's working, why change it. You have to be careful not to get lulled into complacency as that opens the doors for competitors to take you by surprise. Be your own best competitor and you won't have to worry about the other companies.

    ReplyDelete